2020 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
INSTRUCTIONS AND GUIDELINE
The Vancouver Korean-Canadian Scholarship Foundation (VKCSF) is a charitable organization dedicated to providing scholarships to qualified students with Korean heritage or who are pursuing academic fields related to Korea. In so doing, VKCSF hopes to encourage and empower students to contribute to the betterment of the Korean Canadian community, and of the broader community of Canada.
Please ensure to follow the entire instructions in detail to prepare all necessary documents to be qualified for VKCSF 2020 Scholarship. More information about the foundation can be found at vkcsf.org
Step 1: Eligibility Check:
Anyone who will be enrolled as a full-time student from September 2020 to April 2021, and meets one of the following criteria may apply:
- A resident of Greater Vancouver (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) of Korean heritage, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution in the province of British Columbia.
- A resident of Greater Vancouver (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) of Korean heritage, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution outside of the province of British Columbia, if he or she graduated from a secondary school in the Greater Vancouver area and has a parent who resides in the Greater Vancouver area.
- An international student of Korean heritage, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution in the Greater Vancouver area.
- A non-Korean heritage student, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution in the province of British Columbia and is pursuing academic studies related to Korea.
Step 2: To be submitted by you,
Send a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org (with your legal full name in the subject line) PRIOR to submitting online application, with following attachments:
- Please provide your resume in PDF or Word format.
- Your resume should highlight your education, work experience, extracurricular involvement, awards, and other notable achievements.
(b) Personal Essay:
- This year’s essay topic: “We have now faced with the challenge of the 4th industrial revolution. In view of your majoring academic field, how would you cope with the challenge?” (maximum 500 words)
- Please submit in PDF or Word format, with the word count stated at the bottom of the page.
(c) Copy(ies) of Your Academic Transcript(s):
- We require your academic transcripts as follows:
- For applicants who will be entering their first year of post-secondary education in September 2020, we require academic transcript(s) from all of your secondary school years.
- For applicants who will be entering their second or subsequent years of post-secondary education in September 2020, we require academic transcript(s) from all of your post-secondary school years that will be completed by April 2020.
- Please provide scanned copies of all of the above-required academic transcripts in PDF or JPEG format.
- Copies of transcripts may be of unofficial transcripts.
- For applicants who are completing their grade 12 education in June 2020:
- You may be able to download a copy from the Ministry of Education’s website at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/transcripts-and-certificates).
- Please note, if you are graduating from grade 12 in June 2020 and you do not have a BCeID, please apply for one immediately as it can take time to process. A BCeID is required to access the Ministry of Education’s online transcript services.
- Please note, sealed official academic transcripts are also required (see item h) below).
(d) Passport Style Photo:
- Please provide an electronic copy of a passport-styled
photo of yourself in JPEG format.
- Please include your full legal name in the file name.
- Please ensure that your face is centered and takes up
approximately 50% of the height of the photograph
(refer to the example to the right).
- The photograph should be in high resolution, with a minimum
file size of 1 MB.
- Photos of scholarship recipients will be published in the
awards ceremony program booklet and on VKCSF’s website.
(e) Copy of your School Acceptance Letter (IF APPLICABLE):
- For applicants who will be entering their first year of post-secondary education in September 2020, please provide a scanned copy of your school acceptance letter for the academic year of September 2020 to April 2021.
(f) Financial Need Summary
- In PDF or Word format, briefly answer the following four questions:
i . Outline the financial need for the 2020-2021 school year.
ii. Provide how you plan on financing your studies in detail (part time
job(s), savings, bursary, scholarship, etc.).
iii. Identify your financial shortfall based on your plan outlined above.
iv. How did you support your studies in the past year? (if you attended a
post secondary institution in the past year).
(g) Copies of Notice of Assessments (IF APPLICABLE):
- All students who are applying under financial need must provide a scanned copy of their 2019 Notice of Assessment (NOA) from Revenue Canada in PDF or JPEG format. If you do not have a 2019 NOA because you were not required to file an income tax return for 2019, then you do not need to include your 2019 NOA.
- If you are financially dependent on your parents (e.g., if they assist you with your education expenses, or if you live in their home), then you must provide scanned copy(ies) of your parent(s)’ 2019 NOA(s). If you are not financially dependent on your parents, then you do not need to include their 2019 NOA(s).
- Please ensure that you and your parents have filed your 2019 income tax returns in time to be able to provide us with the required 2019 NOAs with your scholarship application package.
Step 3: To be arranged by you, to be sent directly to us as set out below:
(h) Sealed Official Academic Transcript(s):
- We require sealed official academic transcript(s) of all transcripts as set out under item c) above.
- Please make arrangements to have the sealed official academic transcript(s) mailed directly to:
c/o Oh Pharmacy
#100 – 504 Cottonwood Avenue
Coquitlam, B.C. V3J 2R5
- Please make arrangements well in advance to ensure that your transcripts will arrive by the application deadline.
- Transcripts will not be accepted after the application deadline. However, an exception will be made for applicants who will be entering their first year of post-secondary education in September 2020 due to the possibility of delay by the Ministry of Education. In such a case, sealed official academic transcript(s) will be accepted after the application deadline, provided that you have provided us with all other parts of your application package by the deadline, including a copy of the unofficial transcript.
(i) Academic Reference Letter:
- We require one academic reference letter in PDF or Word format, to be submitted directly by the referee via email to email@example.com.
- The reference letter must be prepared and dated in 2020.
- Please make arrangements well in advance to ensure that your teacher or professor has enough time to prepare and send your reference letter to us by the application deadline.
- Late reference letters will not be accepted.
- AFTER sending a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org (with your legal full name in the subject line) with all applicable attachments, fill out the online application form found at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc9eQ0SXCHuSIyjAFHnxZlhZ7ZnqnjuGuuZ57hqyLFx0ukl2Q/viewform?usp=sf_link
WE MUST RECEIVE YOUR ENTIRE APPLICATION PACKAGE BY
MAY 31, 2020 AT 11:59PM
Passport Style Photo