The Vancouver Korean-Canadian Scholarship Foundation (VKCSF) is passionate about investing in the future of our community by building strong leaders and establishing networks between different generations.
Thank you for applying for VKCSF scholarship! Please follow the guidelines carefully to be qualified for a scholarship. Should you have any questions, see our FAQ page first. Also, you can contact us at email@example.com
VKCSF awards scholarships to students who demonstrate the following:
(a) Excellence in academic or vocational training;
(b) Active involvement and leadership in the community, personal essay, reference
(c) Financial need (Optional*).
* If there is no financial need, only (a) and (b) will be considered.
Step 1: Eligibility:
Anyone who will be enrolled as a full-time student from September 2023 to April 2024, and meets one of the following criteria may apply:
- A resident of Greater Vancouver (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) of Korean heritage, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution in the province of British Columbia
- A resident of Greater Vancouver (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) of Korean heritage, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution outside of the province of British Columbia, if he or she graduated from a secondary school in the Greater Vancouver area and has a parent who resides in the Greater Vancouver area
- An international student of Korean heritage, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution in the Greater Vancouver area
- A non-Korean heritage student, who will be attending an accredited post-secondary institution in the province of British Columbia and is pursuing academic studies related to Korea
*Previous VKCSF scholarship recipients are eligible to apply. However, during evaluation, priorities may be given to applicants who have not received any VKCSF scholarship yet.
Step 2: required documents – part i
Save the following documents as PDF files (exception: photo in JPEG format). Create a folder in your Google Drive and submit them by sharing the folder as instructed in Step 3: Google Drive folder.
- Highlight your education, work experience, extracurricular involvement, awards, and other achievements.
- Essay question: What changes is AI technology bringing to your field of study or profession? What steps are you taking to be prepared for the changes?
- Maximum 500 words: show the word count at the bottom of the page
- Scan your academic transcript(s) and save as a single PDF file. Unofficial transcript(s) in PDF format is also acceptable.
- Please note that sealed official transcript(s) are also required. (See step 4 (h)) Any discrepancy during verification process may result in disqualification of the application.
- If you are entering the second or subsequent years of post-secondary education in September 2023, we require transcript(s) from all of post-secondary school years that will be completed by April 2023.
- If you are entering the first year of post-secondary education in September 2023, we require transcript(s) from grade 10 to grade 12 school years.
- You may download a copy from the Ministry of Education’s website.
- BCeID is required for the online transcript service. If you do not have a BCeID, apply immediately to prevent any delay.
- You may download a copy from the Ministry of Education’s website.
- Only JPEG format is acceptable.
- Passport style: face should be centered and take up 50% of the height of the photograph (Example on the below page).
- High resolution with a minimum file size of 1 MB
- Photos of scholarship recipients will be published in the awards ceremony program booklet and other VKCSF announcements.
Passport Style Photo
(e) School Acceptance Letter (IF APPLICABLE):
- Required if you are entering the first year of post-secondary education in September 2023.
(f) Financial Need Summary (Optional):
- You may submit your financial need summary for additional consideration.
- If you are NOT eligible/applying for student loan(s), you must include the reason(s) for non-eligibility.
- Your summary should include the following list:
i . Outline the budget (all expenses) for the 2023-2024 academic year.
ii. Provide all income sources (e.g. jobs, savings, bursary, scholarships and loans).
iii. Identify your financial shortfall (total expenses – total income sources).
iv. How do you intend to manage your shortfall?
v. If you are not eligible/applying for student loan(s), explain why.
(g) Notice of Assessments (IF submitting financial need summary (f)):
- If you are submitting the financial need summary (f), then you must provide a scanned copy of your and your parent(s)’ 2022 notice of assessment (NOA) from Canada Revenue Agency.
- You may blackout/cover SIN or other confidential information, if preferred. For scholarship winners, we will require SIN later for tax receipts.
- If you do not have a 2022 NOA because you were not required to file an income tax return, then you do not need to include your NOA.
Step 3: Google drive folder
- Create a Google account if you do not have one. Go to Google Drive.
- Under “My Drive”, create a NEW folder and name as “VKCSF 2023 Scholarship Application: your last name, first name”
- In the folder, upload all the files from step 2.
- Rename files as listed in Step 2 with your initial at the end. ie) a)resume_YourInitial, b)essay_YourInitial, c)transcript_YourInitial, etc
- Share the folder with firstname.lastname@example.org and pick “Editor” in the drop-down menu.
- NO CHANGE is allowed after May 31st, 2023. Any change made after the deadline may result in disqualification of the application.
- No separate confirmation email will be sent to you after you upload all the required documents.
- Keep the folder shared with us until the end of August 2023. Once the folder is deleted, VKCSF loses access to your application folder.
Step 4: required documents – part II
(h) Sealed Official Academic Transcript(s):
- Make arrangements to have the sealed official academic transcript(s) mailed directly to us either by email or mail.
- Ensure your transcript(s) are ordered prior to the deadline, May 31, 2023.
- Email: email@example.com
- Mailing address:
c/o Oh Pharmacy
#100 – 504 Cottonwood Avenue Coquitlam, B.C. V3J 2R5
- Send the following link to your referee to answer questions directly on the Google form: https://forms.gle/GeEjdC2JTSKQNsQf7
- The questions will include academic and character reference.
- Provide the contact information of one (1) reference in the online application form.
- Late reference submission may be considered as incomplete application. Please ensure that your referee can submit the completed form before May 31, 2023.
Step 5: online application form:
- AFTER uploading all the requirements from Step 2, complete the online application form: https://forms.gle/LiYX1iYTFTJ8wnB36
Application Deadline: MAY 31st, 2023 AT 11:59PM
Additional Required Documents for Selected Candidates:
All selected candidates will be individually notified by email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensure to check your junk/spam folder regularly. Upon notification, the following items MUST be submitted (via provided online form) in 2 weeks:
(a) Scholarship recipient remarks (maximum 75 words): State how the scholarship will have a positive impact in your life. This will be included in the award ceremony program booklet and published on our website.
(b) Thank you letter to the donor (175 – 250 words): You will receive a scholarship from one of our donors (individuals, companies, or societies). With your sincere appreciation, discuss your future plans (academic, community work and/or career), and explain how this scholarship will help you to achieve the goals.
(c) Video clip for the award presentation (maximum 2 minutes): The video clip will be used for the awards ceremony and our website. Submit the file by sharing the link to your Google Drive. Details will be provided later.
The candidates who fail to submit the required items by specified deadline will be deemed as having declined the scholarship.
Every scholarship recipient (or a family member) MUST attend the VKCSF Scholarship Awards Ceremony. The event will be held in-person this year (Date: TBD).